Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Case of the British Firefox... Solved!

Since switching to Ubuntu I've had a strange problem.  For some reason the spell-checker was using the British spelling of words, rather than the American one, even though all the OS settings were US English.  This got to be increasingly annoying as I typed emails for work, posted things on this blog, etc.  Eventually I realized that the spell-check was limited to Firefox.  A little searching and I found how to change Firefox to use the US English dictionary.
  1. Browse to "about:config" in Firefox
  2. Click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button if it appears
  3. In the filter box type "spellchecker".  The only entry you should see on screen at this point is "spellchecker.dictionary."  The value of that entry should read "en-US" for US spellings or "en-GB" for British spellings (or other things for other languages.)
  4. Double-click "en-GB" and change it to "en-US", then hit enter
Done!  You now have a Firefox that spells words like an American (only correctly.)

1 comment:

  1. Good old Firefox, teaching the world the Queens English ;-)

    Thanks for the tip mate, I'll be able to get mine off the US spellings now.


I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.