Monday, August 09, 2010

Simple Gaming Table part 3

I put the initial color on this weekend.  The first step was to haul the thing outside and give is a good spray of Rustoleum "Satin Espresso."  I bought a can that advertised 2x the coverage of normal (whatever that means) and there was more than enough in the can to cover the whole table.  Just like priming minis, I had to account for the fact that spraying is directional and that I didn't leave any areas untouched because they were in the shadows (so to speak.)

The next color was Apple Barrel Nutmeg Brown (about the same as GW Bestial Brown.)  Drybrushing was a lot more difficult than I would have thought.  I had bought a large, cheap brush for the occasion, but it kept shedding hairs in the process.  I ended up falling back on a higher quality brush with a 2" or so width.  I was also surprised at how much the lighter color diminishes as it dries.  Maybe it was just a trick of the light in my basement.  I ended up going over areas multiple times to get a decent look.

In the picture you can probably see spaces where rocks snapped off the board and left white underneath.  On one side of the board I had run an old cd jewel case over it to plane off some of the stuff that sticks up too much.  It definitely helped on that side but both sides seemed to have a lot of rock loss from drybrushing.  I'll have to go back over the table with a finer brush and some scorched brown to retouch those spots before sealing.

Next step is to drybrush with Apple Barrel Country Tan, then static grass some areas (not sure how I'm going to decide where still) and then seal with a spray bottle of watered down white glue.


  1. I can geninely reccomend paint rollers next time for the base coat. They don't shed, cover exceptionally quickly and are surprisingly free of waste considering the method. I've used them with the large tubs of Calthan that GW do for the scenery painting and have even painted realm of battle boards this way. There, my top tip for the week.

    PS. Buy really, really cheap sleeves. Chuck em out rather than clean em. This hurts my good hippie-ish soul but having cleaned the residue of a sleeve cleansing once too often I can just reccomend ditching them.

  2. Oh! And use a household sieve to shake on the static grass, it prevents unsightly clumping. Once dry, hoover off any excess (put the foot of a pair of nylons in the tube of the hoover to catch and reuse the static). Water down pva to a milk consistency and apply over the static (a sprayer is good for this or just tapping with a brush). Once this dries the static will be like a rock and will not shed. Two tips in the same week. Hurrah!