- 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- 26 oz jar of pasta sauce (I used tomato and basil)
- 1 cup water
- 7 oz can of mushroom stems and pieces or buttons
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 Tbsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 small onions, coarsely diced
- creole seasoning powder (optional)
Cut the tofu into 3/4" cubes and place on baking sheet, slight apart. Optionally sprinkle with creole seasoning. Bake at 425 for 1 hour 15 minutes. The tofu will stick to the pan, but should pop off with a little spatula action. The finished result is cubes beige in color with a somewhat chewy outside, some of them a little crispy.
Mix the tofu, pasta sauce, water, pepper flakes and black pepper in a sauce pan and simmer low uncovered for about 20 minutes to allow the pepper flakes flavor to permeate the sauce. Add the spinach, mushrooms and onion and simmer until onions are translucent but not completely soft (to your taste.) Serve by itself or over rice.
The whole batch has about 970 calories (without rice) and we typically get 5 or 6 servings out of it. Good low cal food and absolutely delicious.